Saturday, October 11, 2008

Motivations

I remember being 8 and getting a book and recycling and eco-friendly kid activities, and just totally dug it. I thought it made sense. I got another crazy book (I wish I remembered the name, but I do know it was a book by Klutz, coolest toy company) that had one forever-memorable picture of a hotdog three decades old, unearthed from a landfill and intact down to the last bite that was taken from it before being assigned to its' airless home in the landfill.

It didn't stop there, I just kept getting curious. At 13, I became an impromptu vegetarian, for ecological reasons. Did you know that you could grow tons and tons of grain and crops with the same amount of land and resources as it would take to raise one silly cow that could few a handful of people? Besides, cows fart methane. At 15, I was vegan for an hour. Sorry, but you can't get me away from chocolate.

I'll spare you every painstaking detail (for now). Except this - being in the backcountry in Yosemite for days really sealed the deal.

I've been picked on for being a "hippie," a "flower child," a "tree hugger," "eco evangelist," and just plain earth-nerd. I'm proud of my tree hugging. Trees give some of the best hugs.

Two years ago, I sat down and fleshed it all out - If I was going to be a steward of the earth, what, why and how would that happen? I decided my ultimate goals was to inspire people into action and changing habits and perspectives. I decided I wanted to support renewable energy, banning pesticides and protecting our food, and educate folks about sweatshops and bring enough attention to them to make some waves.

When I get down to it, a lot of my motivation came from things I read. And so, I've always wanted to pay forward the gifts of writers and publishers and provide for others. My intention is to not just inform you, but to inspire you to act. And give you a gift, a paradigm shift. If you don't already, I hope that you will come around to see people and the planet as symbiotic, and sustainable living as just plain common sense.

No comments: